Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Divergent: Setting

     A book I recently began reading is Divergent by Veronica Roth. It was recommended to be by my sister, who is quite the avid reader. I decided to check it out, since she has read the entire 3-part series, and loved all of the books. Veronica Roth opens in a scene similar to he way that Suzanne Collins opens The Hunger Games; the day something big is going to happen for a female main character. Unlike the Hunger Games, everyone is chosen for the task Tris must complete. The task is to complete a series of personality based tests to decide which 'faction' they belong in. The test will tell you where you belong, but ultimately it's up to you. Sometimes the test can be indecisive and tell you that you may belong in more than one faction.     This is what they call Divergent.
    Being that this is a book, that tells a story, the main character, Tris is divergent. The test tells her that she could choose three of the five factions and be fine. the five factions are the Abnegation: the selfless, Candor: the honest, Amity: the peaceful, Erudite: the intelligent, and dauntless: the brave. Tris is told she belongs in either Abnegation, her home faction where she was raised, Candor, or Dauntless. Tris has always been fascinated in the way the dauntless behave and how they dress. Being that she is selfless, she doesn't really care much about in her appearance, in fact she is only allowed to look in the mirror twice a year. She dreams of being dauntless, and dressing in black leather, getting tattoos, and climbing buildings, how exciting! At the choosing ceremony, the day after the test, her brother decides to leave his home faction, so she decides she could too. She becomes Dauntless and is taken away for training in the dauntless lifestyle.
    Below is a video trailer of the recent movie made based on the book Divergent. In the trailer, you can really see how the book will come to life, and see what they're world is really like



3 comments:

  1. I thought that this post was really good at showing the plot of the book and explain why someone may want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you included the video as part of your description, when I read Divergent the setting never really stood out to me as all that special, so I was presently surprised that the movies setting is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how have a video to show the setting and how the video really made the story come to life. I read this book and loved it and i think setting plays a big role in a film. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete